RSS Feeds

Advanced search

You are in:


A warning about liquid nitrogen cocktails

In the UK, a woman had emergency surgery to remove her stomach after drinking a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen while celebrating her 18th birthday at Oscar’s Wine Bar in Lancaster.

She is reported to have become breathless and developed severe stomach pain before being taken to hospital. She was diagnosed with a perforated, or pierced stomach and doctors say she would have died if they had not performed the operation.

In cocktails it is usually used to freeze ingredients, to chill glasses or as a visual gimmick - when added to alcohol, liquid nitrogen makes the drink appear surrounded by a cloud of white or grey vapour. Because it is so cold, contact with liquid nitrogen can cause the skin to freeze, resulting in burns.

4 October 2012 - Felicity Murray


Drinks Home